Thursday, August 12, 2010

Orange Beach 2010


We had originally planned to not go to the beach this year because of the unfortunate oil spill...and Averi and I were heartbroken! We have been going to Orange Beach every year since I was pregnant with Averi and thereafter! And EVERY Mother's Day since she was born, Allen has given me a mini-scrapbook of pictures of Ave & I throughout the year...sweet, huh? In each book there, has always been a section of pictures from our previous beach trip. It was just too sad thinking that my next book wouldn't have this had we skipped out on our annual beach trip. Fortunately, we had heard of several families within the past month of going anyway and coming home saying how they didn't experience any oil spillage. Luckily for us, there was discounted rates going on as well since the tourism had been so scarce! So we booked a long weekend and just prayed that the beaches would stay beautiful for us too! God must have heard our prayers because it was cleanest, clearest water I have seen down there in past 5 years! It was beautiful! We were able to get in the ocean and not feel oily or sticky the majority of the time. However, a big storm did come through one afternoon and by the evening there were quite a few tar balls. We also had a little bit on our feet. The boardwalks had stations with foot brushes, towels, and Dawn liquid soap available to clean off any greasy substance! But it was only that one day that we experienced anything from the spillage! We still had a great time and lots of memories were made! I am so thankful that we were able to go on our annual beach vacation and I can't wait to see the pictures Allen will put in my Mother's Day book!

The beach clean up crew
Sunset
Averi & my very first ferris wheel ride!
Averi is very much into writing her name...she practiced in the sand!
Family photo!
Averi & Daddy
Me & Averi
Our sweet daughter asked to take a picture of us...I usually don't let her play with my camera, but I thought what the heck! We'll let her give it a try and this is what she did! We think it turned out great! Who knew that a 3 year old could handle a DSLR?!?